Sunday, December 9, 2012

How Did I Do?


1. I learned that time preparation is very important.  In high school you can get away with putting off assignments to the last minute but that is defiantly not the case in college.  In college, course material is spread further out and goes by faster.  This leaves us to do a lot of work on our own.  Studying the night before is defiantly not a good idea.  In addition, there is so much more going on in other classes that time management is key if you want to get good grades.  I also learned that there are many distractions in college as well.  This is the first time in our lives that we have complete freedom from our guardians.  This can be both good and bad.  While it forces us to be independent, it can also lead us to be reckless and irresponsible.  I also learned that studying hard is not enough.  You have to study harder than what you think is “hard.”  In high school I studied the night before and got good grades.  In college I started studying a week before and thought I was studying hard.  Turns out you have to study a lot longer than that to get an excellent grade.

This year I learned a lot about writing.  Ethos, pathos, and logos, all terms that were touched upon in high school, were a big part of our English class this semester.  Before I didn’t really know what any of them meant.  However, after this class I know them well and understand how to incorporate them into my writing to create a stronger piece of writing.  I also learned to be more specific, and add more dialogue in my writing.  In addition, I also learned that it is ok to have different tones in a single piece of writing, when breaking the piece into sections or acts.  The most important thing I learned about writing is that there is always room for improvement, even if you think that there is none.

Penn State is an amazing place.  I learned that Penn State is a strong and prideful school.  Even after the scandal, our school remains to be a school of high spirit and charisma.  What amazed me the most was how kind everyone is at State College.  From the staff to random people I met on the streets, everyone has a kind and outgoing personality.  I also learned how isolated Penn State is.  It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel as if Penn State is in its own little world.

I experienced so much more in my first semester at Penn State than I did years in my life.  This is the first time that I was on my own for a long period of time, and away from my “bubble.”  This brought forth new experiences and friendships.  I always considered myself a shy and reserved person, but after a semester at Penn State I learned to be outgoing and confident.  I realized that I had it in me to be outgoing; all I had to do was to be open minded.

Penn State is full of opportunities to experience the arts.  I learned that Penn State is no joke when it comes to displaying its support for the arts.  For example, I was very impressed by the marathon reading that the English department held.  The turnout was good and the overall quality of the event was great.  I was also very impressed by the quality and size of the theater and museum in Penn State.  Both were very legit and impressive.  My favorite art related event connected to Penn State was the Arboretum.  The place was so beautiful and is a nice break from the campus scene.  Lastly I was impressed by the availability of new art related events around campus.  It seems like there is a new event every week!

2. 










3. Hi Ms. S! I completed my SRTEs!

No comments:

Post a Comment