Monday, November 12, 2012

In The Red and Brown Water

"In the Red and Brown Water" tells us a story about a young girl named Oya who loves to run and is really good at it.  The story starts off with Oya, who seems to be in a trance saying "Oya, Oya."  Her mother, mama Moja enters and jokes with Oya about her running, when all of a sudden she stops and starts experiencing pains.  Later in the play we see Oya winning a race, after which she is approached by a scout representing "State."  He offers her a spot at school but she declines due to her sick mother.  After the death of her mother we get a deeper view of other important characters.  Ogun, a shy mechanic who likes Oya and stutters whenever he talks to her.  Shongo, a strong, agressive man who also likes Oya.  Elegba, a young man obsessed with candy who is also intrested in Oya.  And finally Aunt Elegua, a charsimatic, big woman who comforts Oya and hits on her lovers.  After the death of Oya's mother, Shongo comes to comfort Oya and the two start a relationship.  The relationship is happy as the two constantly fight.  Shongo walks out on Oya to join the Army, and to make things worse, Oya seeks the man from State but is informed that they got a better runner.  Oya sits lonely on a porch, when Ogun approaches her and takes her in with the promise of a family, something Oya has been longing for.  However this relationship is not happy either, as Oya still has not had a baby.  On top of this she still has feelings for Shongo.  Shongo returns but Oya is informed that he is going to have a baby with another woman.   Shongo visits Oya, where she tells him that she prepared a present, but the present turns out to be her ear.  The play ends with Oya on the ground.  I felt that two things were the most important for the character.  Running for State and having a baby.  Unfortunatly she did not achieve both.  Had Oya ran for state, she would not have been there for her mother's death.  As for the baby I believe it was hinted that Oya was infertile by the mysterious voodoo lady. I was most compelled at the end when Oya cut off her ear.  I have to be honest that took me by such surprise.  Oya mentioned she had a gift and clenched her hands, so I thought it was sleeping pills but it turned out to be her own ear!  I had no idea how much she loved Shongo or how jealous and sad she felt that she wasn't having his baby.  I have no official critiques, I thought the play was good.  Although I was confused by the wardrobe, by looking at the costumes I thought it was placed back in the 1800's but apparently that wasn't it seeing as how they had a DJ. This was not the first live theater performance I saw.  I saw the Lion King on Broadway freshman year of High School so obviously Lion King was much better.  However I enjoyed this play as well, I thought the singing was phenomenal especially the scene at the church.  I also really enjoyed the character Aunt Elegua.

No comments:

Post a Comment